Sprint 12: 2019 the Year of Green Action – what can nature do for you and your business?
This year, the government launched their 25 year plan for the environment, pledging to leave it in a better state than we found it. The Water Hub at Durham University are running this 3-day sprint to explore how we can protect and enhance our natural environment in the north east, grow a green economy and support resilient communities, by working together.
Anna Gerring, Sprint Lead from The Water Hub said:
“We’re looking for ideas and concepts that deliver Green Growth for the North East, benefiting business and the environment. We’ve got a brilliantly diverse group of participants from business, communities, government bodies, environmental organisations and research institutes. It’s so exciting to apply a design thinking approach to see what we can do when we come together on this wicked challenge.”
Across the three days we’ll provide:
· An introduction to business opportunities around nature
· A chance to meet SMEs who are growing their businesses by embracing environmental issues
· An opportunity to meet representatives from leading public sector organisations who have business challenges
· The potential to shape how we celebrate the 2019 Year of Green Action in the North East
· The chance for SME’s to win up to £1500 for the most innovative ideas
By our panellists
· Oliver Harmer, North East Area Director at the Environment Agency. Oliver will expose the government drivers for green growth in the North East and discuss the business opportunities this presents.
· Claire Thompson, Natural Capital Investments & Sustainability Executive at Capability North East. Capability North East will be central to delivering natural capital investment plans in the North East. Claire will introduce their current ambitions for this and explore how we talk about the environment in society today and its relevance to modern day living.
Prof. Louise Bracken. Louise is the Scientific Director at The Water Hub and Director of the Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience at Durham University. The Water Hub aims to improve the environment through innovation and collaboration and deliver green growth. Louise will explain how this collaborative model is creating business opportunities around nature.
Want to know how we get on?
If you can’t make the event but want to hear how we get on, contact email@example.com